Essays academic service


A history of chrysler corporation in united states of america

Walter Chrysler had originally arrived at the ailing Maxwell-Chalmers company in the early 1920s, having been hired to take over and overhaul the company's troubled operations just after a similar rescue job at the Willys car company.

In late 1923 production of the Chalmers automobile was ended. Then in January 1924, Walter Chrysler launched an eponymous automobile. The Chrysler 70 also called the B-70 was a 6-cylinder, designed to provide customers with an advanced, well-engineered car, at a more affordable price than they might expect. Elements of this car are traceable back to a prototype which had been under development at Willys at the time Chrysler was there. The original 1924 Chrysler included a carburetor air filter, high compression engine, full pressure lubrication, and an oil filter, at a time when most autos came without all these features.

Among the innovations in its early years would be the first practical mass-produced four-wheel hydraulic brakes, a system nearly completely engineered by Chrysler with patents assigned to Lockheed. Chrysler pioneered rubber engine mounts to reduce vibration; Oilite bearings; and superfinishing for shafts.

Chrysler also developed a road wheel with a ridged rim, designed to keep a deflated tire from flying off the wheel.

  • This would eventually lead to the demise of Plymouth several decades later;
  • With the purchase, Chrysler once again became foreign owned; this time Italian car maker Fiat gained majority ownership and control of Chrysler;
  • To avoid pricing themselves out of the market, Chrysler clumsily detuned its existing engines to meet emission requirements, which resulted in lower fuel economy at a time when fuel prices were rising;
  • Chrysler CEO Lee Iacocca sought to minimize damage to the corporation's public image by calling a news conference in which he termed the action "dumb" and "unforgivable".

This safety wheel was eventually adopted by the auto industry worldwide. Following the introduction of the Chrysler, the Maxwell marque was dropped after the 1925 model year. The new, of lower-priced 4-cylinder Chryslers introduced for 1926 year were badge-engineered Maxwells. The advanced engineering and testing that went into Chrysler Corporation cars helped to push the company to the second-place position in U. In 1928, Chrysler Corporation began dividing its vehicle offerings by price class and function.

The Plymouth brand was introduced at the low priced end of the market created essentially by once again reworking and rebadging Chrysler's 4-cylinder model. At the same time, the DeSoto marque was introduced in the medium-price field.

Shortly thereafter, Chrysler bought the Dodge Brothers automobile and truck company and launched the Fargo range of trucks.

See Which Car Companies Are the Most American

By the late 1930s, the DeSoto and Dodge divisions would trade places in the corporate hierarchy. This proliferation of marques under Chrysler's umbrella might have been inspired by the similar strategy employed successfully by General Motors. Beginning in 1955, Imperial, formerly the top model of the Chrysler brand, became a separate make of its own,and in 1960, the Valiant was introduced likewise as a distinct marque.

With those exceptions per applicable year and market, Chrysler's range from lowest to highest price from the 1940s through the 1970s was Valiant, Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, and Imperial. The Eagle brand lasted a decade, being discontinued in 1998, while Plymouth was ended three years later. By 2001 and as of September 2009, the company had three marques worldwide: Dodge, Jeep, and Chrysler. Effective October 2009, however, a fourth brand was established with the creation of the Ram brand, a breakout from the Dodge marque.

Initially, the new brand consisted of the Ram full-size pickup, Dakota compact pickup and the Sprinter van. During the unveiling of Chrysler's business plan on November 5, CEO Sergio Marchionne indicated that the Ram brand will be augmented by Fiat-sourced vehicles, including a smaller van than the Sprinter, which itself would be replaced by a Fiat-based vehicle.

In 2011, however, Fiat became Chrysler's fifth brand with the North American introduction of the Fiat 500. Chrysler's Airtemp marque for stationary and mobile air conditioning, refrigeration, and climate control was launched with the first installation in 1930's Chrysler Building,though the Airtemp Corporation would not be incorporated until 1934, when it used a former Maxwell factory. Airtemp invented capacity regulators, sealed radial compressors, and the self-contained air conditioning system, along with a superior high-speed radial compressor, and by 1941 had over 500 dealers selling its air conditioning and heating systems.

The company supplied medical refrigeration units in World War II, and dominated the industry in the 1940s but slowly fell behind. By the 1970s Airtemp was losing money, and was sold to Fedders in 1976. In 2012 the name was reborn as a A history of chrysler corporation in united states of america byproduct exclusively sold by the R. In the 1980s, Chrysler formed a subsidiary business called Acustar to sell parts to other automakers as well as supplying parts for Chrysler-built vehicles, similar to General Motors' creation of Delphi Corporation and Ford's later creation of Visteon.

Safeguard is Chrysler's brand for original and replacement auto glass, much of which, from 1958 through the mid-2000s, was made at Chrysler's McGraw glass plant, and some of which was manufactured for Chrysler by established glass companies.

Chrysler (Fortune, 1935)

In 1934 the company introduced the Airflow models, featuring an advanced streamlined body, among the first to be designed using aerodynamic principles. Chrysler created the industry's first wind tunnel to develop them. Buyers rejected its styling, and the more conventionally designed Dodge and Plymouth cars pulled the firm through the Depression years.

Plymouth was one of only a few marques that actually a history of chrysler corporation in united states of america sales during the cash-strapped thirties. The unsuccessful Airflow had a chilling effect on Chrysler styling and marketing, which remained determinedly conservative through the 1940s and into the 1950s, with the single exception of the installation of hidden headlights on the very brief production run of 1942 DeSotos.

Engineering advances continued, and in 1951 the firm introduced the first of a long and famous series of Hemi V8s. In 1955 things brightened with the introduction of Virgil Exner's successful Forward Look designs, followed in 1956 by Chrysler's pioneering adoption of transistor radios in cars.

On April 28, 1955, Chrysler and Philco had announced the development and production of the world's first all-transistor car radio.

Philco was the company that had manufactured the all-transistor car radio Mopar model 914HR, starting in the fall of 1955 at its Sandusky, Ohio plant, for the Chrysler corporation. With the inauguration of the second generation Forward Look cars for 1957, Torsion-Aire suspension was introduced. This resulted in both a smoother ride and significantly improved handling.

A rush to production of the 1957 models led to quality control problems including poor body fit and finish, resulting in significant and early rusting. This, coupled with a national recession, found the company again in recovery mode. On September 28, 1957, Chrysler had announced the production of electronic fuel injection EFI to be available as an option on some of its new 1958 car models Chrysler 300D, Dodge D500, DeSoto Adventurer, Plymouth Golden Commando V-8 that resulted with approximately 35 total installations.

Chrysler used the same all-transistor modulator "Electrojector" fuel injection system from Bendix Corporation that was withdrawn from public sale of the 1957 Rambler Rebel by American Motors because the system could not be made reliable. Owners of EFI Chryslers were so dissatisfied that all but one were retrofitted with carburetors, while that one has been completely restored, with original EFI electronic problems resolved.

Chrysler ranked eighth among United States corporations in the value of wartime production contracts. Chrysler made the converters for the Manhattan Project's K-25 gaseous diffusion plant in their Lynch Road plant in Detroit, after Dr Carl Heussner of the Chrysler plating laboratory solved the nickel plating problem. Chrysler continued with special projects for the Government; these were in the aerospace fields of missiles and space boosters.

When the Radiation Laboratory at MIT was established in 1941 to develop microwave radars, one of the first projects resulted in the SCR-584, the most widely recognized radar system of the war era. This system included a parabolic antenna six feet in diameter that was mechanically aimed in a helical pattern round and round as well as up and down. There, the parabola was changed from aluminum to steel, allowing production forming using standard automotive presses.

To keep weight down, 6,000 equally spaced holed were drilled in the face this did not affect the radiation pattern. The changes resulted in improved performance, reduced weight, and easier maintenance.

Fiat Chrysler recalls 5.3 million vehicles for cruise control defect

A large portion of the Dodge plant was used in building 1,500 of the SCR-584 antennas as well as the vans used in the systems. In April 1950, the U. Included was a group of German scientists and engineers led by Wernher von Braun; this group had been brought to America under Project Paperclip. Chrysler established the Missile Division to serve as the Redstone prime contractor, setting up an engineering operation in Huntsville and for production obtaining use from the U.

Navy of a large plant in Warren, Michigan. The Redstone was in active service from 1958 to 1964; it was also the first missile to test-launch a live nuclear weapon, first detonated in a 1958 test in the South Pacific. Responsibility for deploying Jupiter missiles was transferred from the Army to the Air Force; armed with nuclear warheads, they were first deployed in Italy and Turkey during the early 1960s. In October 1950, K. Keller the president and chairman of the board of Chrysler was appointed part-time Director of Guided Missiles by President Truman to "make sense" of the missile program.

Kenneth Nichols who had worked with him on the Manhattan Project was his assistant. They were to select missiles to be put into production and specify the number required, and give more priority to air defense missiles. He sent it back, saying he was willing to discuss the numbers but refused to reply in writing and get into the "Pentagon paper mill procedure" of "endless reviews and letter writing".

He resigned in September 1953. As America's manned space flight plans became more ambitious, Wernher von Braun's team designed the Saturn family of launch vehicles. Chrysler built these for the Apollo program in the Michoud Assembly Facility in East New Orleans, one of the largest manufacturing plants in the world.

The last five of these tested boilerplate Apollo spacecraft, and the last three also carried Pegasus micrometeroid detection satellites. All flights were successful. A history of chrysler corporation in united states of america February 1966 and July 1975, NASA launched nine Saturn IBs on two suborbital flights and seven orbital flights five of which were manned ; all flights were successful.

Starting in the 1960 model year, Chrysler built all their passenger cars with Unibody unit-body or monocoque construction, except the Imperials which retained body-on-frame construction until 1967. Chrysler thus became the only one of the Big Three American automakers General Motors Corporation, Ford Motor Company, and Chrysler to offer unibody construction on the vast majority of their product lines.

This construction technique, now the worldwide standard, offers advantages in vehicle rigidity, handling, and crash safety, while reducing squeak and rattle development as the vehicle ages.

Chrysler's contributions to the technology included the first use of computers to design unit-body cars, and the first setup where exterior sheet metal was not required for structural strength, making sheet metal replacement easier.

Chrysler's new compact line, the Valiant, opened strong and continued to gain market share for over a decade. Valiant was introduced as a history of chrysler corporation in united states of america marque of its own, but the Valiant line was placed under the Plymouth marque for US-market sales in 1961. The 1960 Valiant was the first production automobile with an alternator generating alternating current, paired with diodes for rectification back to direct current rather than a direct current electrical generator as standard equipment.

It proved such an improvement that it was used in all Chrysler products in 1961. The DeSoto marque was withdrawn from the market after the introduction of the 1961 models due in part to the broad array of the Dodge lines and the general neglect of the division. The same affliction plagued Plymouth as it also suffered when Dodge crept into Plymouth's price range.

This would eventually lead to the demise of Plymouth several decades later. An ill-advised downsizing of the full-size Dodge and Plymouth lines in 1962 hurt sales and profitability for several years. Partly to compensate for rust problems on the 1957 models and partly to ensure that their Unibody cars would remain safe, as rust was a larger problem when body panels were required for strength, Chrysler pioneered the use of electrostatic charges to improve anti-rust agent adhesion in their 1960 models.

The company was also the first to use a seven-step rustproofing bath system, though not the first to use rustproofing baths. In April 1964, the Plymouth Barracuda, which was a Valiant sub-model, was introduced. The huge glass rear window and sloping roof were polarizing styling features. Barracuda was released almost two weeks before Ford's Mustang, making the Barracuda the first pony car.

Even so, the Mustang outsold it 10-to-1 between April 1964 and August 1965. Perception of the Barracuda as nothing but a reskinned Valiant was not aided by sharing front-end sheetmetal. Chrysler's target buyers were obviously men, and attracting female buyers was not apparently a high priority, for a 1967 sales brochure proclaimed, "At last—specifications your wife can understand.

For the Rootes Group one outcome of this takeover was the launch of the Hillman Avenger in 1970 briefly sold in the U. During the 1970s the former Rootes Group got into severe financial difficulties.